|Explore||With this research topic, one experiment tested starch in plants because plants make food during photosynthesis and the glucose not used is stored as starch in the tissues of the plant. This experiment can determine whether or not photosynthesis occurred by measuring carbohydrate production. By...|
|Research Question||We want to study glucose levels in parsley leaves. We will be using iodine solution to find out where the glucose is stored in the leaf (stored as starch). We came up with this question with the help of Josh, our mentor, by combining our two possible ideas. We will be studying how the iodine...|
|Predictions||If parsley plants are under blue, white, and green light, the plants will demonstrate the most starch (because more photosynthesis = more glucose) under blue, then white, then green and there will be little to no starch in the leaves in the darkness under the foil. This will be evidenced by color...|
|Experimental Design||Materials: • Safety goggles • Hot plates • Hot water bath • Gloves • Beakers • Thermometer • Aprons • 70% Isopropyl Alcohol • Water • 3 Parsley Plants • Aluminum Foil • Tweezers • Iodine • White light bulb • Blue light bulb • Green light bulb • Lamps...|
|Conclusion||Data and Results: Monday, 11/6/18 (72 hours after starting photosynthesis): Different Wavelengths of Lights Effects on Percentage of Leaves Showing Starch Presence Type of light: White w/o foil: White w/ foil: Blue w/o foil: Blue w/ foil: Green w/o foil: Green w/ foil: Presence of Starch...|
|About this Project||
These four students were persistent in trying to collect evidence for all reactants and products of photosynthesis. They felt like the leaf disk activity did a great job of showing that CO2, light and water are needed and that oxygen is produced. They wanted to concentrate on glucose as a...
As this research project is now in the final stages of wrapping-up, we wish to thank everyone who participated in this inquiry; the students, mentors, teachers and others behind the scenes. We appreciate all of your efforts and contributions to this online learning community.
Scientific exploration is a process of discovery that can be fun! There are many unanswered questions about plants just waiting for new scientists to consider, investigate, and share.
Please come back and visit the PlantingScience Project Gallery anytime to view this project in the future. You can search the Gallery by key word, team name, topic, or school name.
Good bye for now.
The PlantingScience team
It’s great to see that teams from your school are wrapping up and posting conclusions. Enjoy the final stages of your project, and feel free to post any final comments or questions you have for your mentors.
So we already did what you recommended but we re-uploaded it because some of the numbers were off in the results. The number of leaves total, the number of leaves that show starch, and the percentage are all in the data table since you really can't see the data table or the graph in the project info, I recommend looking at the file upload
Well the way I did it before was wrong so I am pretty sure this is how I am supposed to do it. Unfortunately, the data table and graph didn't really show up right / at all but I kept the file upload so you can look at that to see the table and graph. Again, thank you so much for your help!!
Hey Josh, just uploaded the final report! I hope I did it right, I wasn't really sure how to upload so that is why it is so late but thank you so much for your help! We all think the experiment turned out great!
Just a reminder that when you go to upload documents to make sure that you are not including any last names on your reports.
Hello! Today in class we took notes in class on the photosynthesis, discussing chlorophyll as a photosynthetic pigment, light reactions, absorption of light, the Calvin cycle, etc. At the end of the day we finally got to run our full experiment! We boiled the leaves for two minutes in water that was roughly 80 degrees celsius. After two minutes in water, they were transferred into 70% isopropyl alcohol, which they remained in for one minute. They were removed, place on a paper towel, and we dropped the iodine solution onto them. It took a couple minutes, but slowly the leaves placed in the light began to turn purple, while the covered leaves stayed green. Our hypothesis was correct! Yay! We believed that starch would be present in the uncovered leaves, as they were doing photosynthesis, while the covered leaves were not. This was true, but we predicted the plants under blue lights to have the most glucose (because plants take in mostly BIV waves), but the white light prevailed. The plants under the white light, uncovered, showed the most starch of all our plants. Blue came in second, while green essentially had no starch. We are very excited that we finally got our experiment to work with only a few bumps in the road. We couldn't have done it without your help, so thank you so much! Also, I will add some pictures in case you would like to see how it turned out.
Hi JOSH! I am sorry I called you John; there was a technological mishap (aka my brain wasn't working). Our experiment went really well. Thank you for all your help. We found that white light produced the most starch instead of blue light, and we were able to collect data and make conclusions. Now, we are finishing up our formal lab report.
Hi Josh! In class on Friday, we boiled some parsley leaves from plants that were in the sun and stained them with iodine and we could see the starch!! Yay! We also set up our experiment - there was a bit of confusion but I think it is all figured out now. We now have only three plants total, one under each light (green, blue, and white) and there are some leaves on each plant covered with foil. We will collect data on Monday. I know someone took pictures of the setup, but I am not sure who; we can post them on Monday.