|Explore||The embryo sprouts from the inside and starts to germinate. The radicle is the part that grows into roots. The cotyledon grows into leaves which are used for food storage. The epicotyl is the part of the stem above the cotyledon, and the hypocotyl is the part of the stem below the cotyledon....|
|Research Question||What pea seed germinates and then grows the best? Is it a sanded down seed, nicked seed, or an untouched seed? (not really untouched, just not "damaged")|
|Predictions||The sanded down seeds will germinate first, and grow the best.|
|Experimental Design||To set up our experiment we used CD cases with little box graphs, and put our five nicked ones in one, our five sanded down in another, and the five control in another. We put the seeds on the top line of the fourth box, and we folded the top of the napkin five times to make it thick enough to...|
|Conclusion||Our claim is that for the best seed germination, or the fastest, sanded down pea seeds are the way to go. If you are looking for one with good growth, unscarred pea seeds are the way to go. We think that the sanded down pea seeds germinate the fastest because they have no seed coat, and so the...|
|About this Project||
This group did an exceptional job with communicating their project to their mentor, and following through with feedback provided by both their mentor and teacher. They planned and recorded their ideas very thoughtfully and scientifically, and showed a lot of growth in designing and carrying...
As this research project is now in the final stages of wrapping-up, we wish to thank everyone who participated in this inquiry; the students, mentors, teachers and others behind the scenes. We appreciate all of your efforts and contributions to this online learning community.
Scientific exploration is a process of discovery that can be fun! There are many unanswered questions about plants just waiting for new scientists to consider, investigate, and share.
Please come back and visit the PlantingScience Project Gallery anytime to view this project in the future. You can search the Gallery by key word, team name, topic, or school name.
Good bye for now.
The PlantingScience team
We just uploaded our slide onto this website. Thanks for everything!
Madeleine and El Dragon Fruites
Great news! I appreciate being able to read through your conclusions in the "Info" section. It seems your experiment worked very well and you should be very proud! If you are able to do so, I would love to see your presentation if you upload it to the files section.
Its been great working with everyone for this project. I hope it was as rewarding for you as it was for me! Please let me know how your presentation goes if you are able!
Sorry for the late response. To wrap up we have created a slideshow with our findings to present to our class, as well as have edited anything needed to be edited on this website.
It’s great to see that teams from your school are wrapping up and posting conclusions. Enjoy the final stages of your project, and feel free to post any final comments or questions you have for your mentors.
Great ideas! Can you give an example of a seed where you would expect the opposite results? What about that species would lead you to make such a prediction?
Now that you're done collecting data, what will you be doing to wrap up the project? Will you be sharing your results with the class?
Today is the last day of our presentation. We have gathered data, while watching our seeds grow. We do think that this experiment would work if we used a different type of seeds because another group at this school used corn seeds and it worked for them. However, we do not think that the outcome would be the same. They are different seeds, and they will respond to different experiments in different ways.
We came into class today to see that all three sets of seeds had germinated, and had grown more. All five of the nicked seeds were 3.5 - 5 cm long root wise, and one of them was also .5 cm long stem wise. All five of the sanded down seeds had also germinated, but one of them germinated so little that you could barely tell. 3 of those seeds germinated .5 cm stem wise. Only four of the control seeds had germinated, and none of them had really grown stem wise. With the data that we collected, it looks like the nicked seeds are growing better if you think about the roots. If you consider seeds to be growing better based on the stem part, then the sanded down seeds would be growing better, because while only one of the nicked seeds is growing stem wise, three of the sanded down ones are growing stem wise. We will be done with this experiment by the end of Thursday, so only three more days. At this point we are just measuring the growth part of the seeds because they have all germinated.
Thanks for the pictures - you have an awesome setup! It also appears that your hypotheses are holding true so far, which is always very exciting to see. How long will you continue monitoring for germination and growth? What are your plans once all seeds have germinated?
Today we noticed that both the nicked and sanded down seeds had grown more. Two of the sanded down and nicked seeds had sprouts about 3 centimeters long. The undamaged seeds started growing as well, but they are not as long as the nicked and sanded down seeds. There was also a sanded down seed that had been split, however had not started germinating yet.
Today we came into class to find three sanded down seeds that had germinated, and one nicked seed that had germinated. The water that we had given it yesterday hadn't been soaked up all the way yet, but we realized that a wet towel might not provide enough water to both sides of the seed, so we poured 2 mL of water over the top of the CD case (the water hit the seeds more directly).