|Explore||We knew that plants needed water, sunlight, and space to grow! plants take in co2 plants do photosynthesis and cellular respiration.|
|Research Question||How does the sugar in lemonade, lemon juice and sugared water instead of plain water affect how fast the pea seeds sprout and how long they grow?|
|Predictions||If there is too much sugar in each of the liquids, then it will not grow as quickly, because plants grow on water, not sugar. Sugar is an unnatural input to help seeds sprout and grow, so it could make it die.|
|Experimental Design||Independent Variable = type of liquid Dependent Variable = how fast it grows Variables to Control = type of seed, dampness of paper towel, type of liquid Materials: paper towel, petri dish, sugar snap peas(4 or two in each),lemon, toothpick, lemonade, water (20 drops for each),...|
|Conclusion||Claim: My results are mostly inconclusive, but the bottled water grew on the last day. Evidence: On every day except for on the last day the seeds didn’t grow at all, but on the last day the bottled water grew 1.3 inches. This was a lot because the lemonade, lemon juice, and the sugar water...|
|About this Project||
This group was my favorite group to follow. They were excited about the project from the beginning! They worked hard to consider the best way to investigate their question. They did a nice job taking in to consideration their mentors feedback. And one group member in particular did a great job...
Hi Mr. Hirsch, I just wanted to say thank you so much for guiding us throughout this investigation!
It was really fun working with you, and I had a lot of fun!
Paige and Christine, you guys were really fun to work with!
Thank you very much from all your help, ideas and comments. I don't think this investigation would have gone as it did without your help! It may have been a sad ending to it, but we found some pretty interesting things!
Thank you Mr. Hirsh. I had a lot of fun through this experiment, and you made it better by giving good advice and feedback.
Farewell and Best Wishes
As this research project is now in the final stages of wrapping-up, we wish to thank everyone who participated in this inquiry; the students, mentors, teachers and others behind the scenes. We appreciate all of your efforts and contributions to this online learning community.
Scientific exploration is a process of discovery that can be fun! There are many unanswered questions about plants just waiting for new scientists to consider, investigate, and share.
After the end of the session, we will be updating the platform and archiving groups and projects, after which time new updates/posts will not be able to be added to projects or groups. You have until Tuesday, April 25, 2021, to post ALL of your updates, comments, and goodbyes. Please come back and visit the PlantingScience Project Gallery anytime to view this project in the future. You can search the Gallery by keyword, team name, topic, or school name.
Good bye for now.
The PlantingScience Team
Claim: My results are mostly inconclusive, but the bottled water grew on the last day.
Evidence: On every day except for on the last day the seeds didn’t grow at all, but on the last day the bottled water grew 1.3 inches. This was a lot because the lemonade, lemon juice, and the sugar water didn’t sprout at all. Also over the weekend all the petri dishes and seeds grew mold.
Reasoning: This outcome was explained when I did a little research. I found out that it was the sugar that affected the growth of the seeds. When the liquid a seed is trying to use to grow has too much sugar then the sugar will suck up the liquid and make they seed die from “dehydration”. This result is pretty much what I had expected. I had expected for the bottled water to do the best because it had no sugar, but i didn’t think the other ones wouldn’t grow at all. I also never expected for them to get moldy at the last minute. It wasn’t really a fair test because we didn’t always add the same amount of liquid and we didn’t really measure the sugar so it wasn’t super fair.
Some errors that I think were made during this investigation, are as follows!
We did not clean the pipet after we used it. We used the same pipet for all the seeds and we did not clean it before using it in another liquid!
So I think if we would have cleaned it or used different ones for each liquid it would have been better because the remains of one liquid could contaminate another!
The liquids we gave the seeds had too much sugar, and if a seed/plant gets too much sugar it will not grow! I think we should have done some research on how much sugar a seed/plant can handle and balanced it out! ( although that was the whole point of our investigation)
We used a lot of similar liquids, I think if we used liquids that were a bit more different from each other!, it would have given more individual results!
I am not very confident in this investigation, because as you can see there is quite a few things, we could have done differently!