||We know that plants need sunlight, water, and nutrients to survive. We also know the main parts of a plant, which are roots, stem, and leaves. In class, we have discovered the function of each different part of a plant, how to grow and germinate a plant, and factors that create favorable conditions for the growth of plants. Some questions about plants that interst us are " What is the function of a root in a plant?" and " What are some misconceptions about plants?"
||Materials: Plant Pots, radishes (Raphanus sativus), Mortant/Procion MX dye (not in red,white, or any variation of), Acid dye (not in red,white, or any variation of), Basic Dye (not in red,white, or any variation of), Kool-AId (not in red,white, or any variation of), Measuring devices (land,or onces), test tubes, ph testers, soil testers, soil, water, bowls/trays
1. Test soil sample using kit to insure soil is healthy.
2. Make your dye and Kool-Aid according to instructions on labels (may have to do calculations for a smaller quantity).
2a. Dilute solution to 1 part solution 4 part water.
3. Seperate plant pots 2 for each : Basic, Procion MX, Acid, Kool-Aid, and water (control group) so that if the Radishes are over "watered" it doesn't contminate another set.
4. Place soil and seeds in pot (insure everything is properly labeled)
5. For the first "watering" (water 5 days a week) use water for all and test PH.
5a. After the first "watering" give each the proper solution according to the 1 inch rule
6. Write down observation 2-3 times a week (including height, color, malformations etc.)
7. Once everyother week measure test PH balance.
8. Repeat steps 5a - 7 for a total of 8 weeks.