Master Plant Science Team: a Sponsored Opportunity for Graduate Students and Post-doctoral Researchers
Applications for the 2018-2019 Master Plant Science Team are now being accepted!
Are you a graduate student or post-doctoral researcher interested in a chance to get involved and trained in K-12 outreach?
Would you like to mentor student research teams, without ever leaving your desk?Do you have a handful of hours per week to commit during BOTH the Fall and Spring PlantingScience Sessions?
- Participate in online mentorship training
- Mentor 2-3 student teams via the web during BOTH fall (September-November) and Spring (February-April) sessions
- Serve as a PlantingScience liaison in EITHER Fall or Spring:
- Work closely with an assigned middle or high school teacher.
- Help the teacher select and communicate with other scientist mentors.
- Help monitor a teachers’ teams and step into conversations as necessary to keep all conversations going strong.
- Submit weekly liaison reports on the progress of your teachers’ teams.
- Nominate the best of your teacher’s teams for star project awards.
- Provide feedback to staff and mentor team
- Inspire middle and high school students with a new appreciation for plants and science
- Give back to K-12 education and support innovative teachers in their efforts to bring real science to their students
- Gain communication and mentoring experience and skills
- Sponsored benefits by participating scientific societies include free membership and other benefits (see society brochures for details).
- PlantingScience t-shirt
Choose a Sponsor:
- Botanical Society of America sponsors graduate students and post-doctoral researchers.
Download BSA brochure. Applications are due August 6, 2018.
- American Society of Plant Biologists sponsors graduate students and post-doctoral researchers.
Download ASPB brochure. Applications are due August 6, 2018.
- Canadian Botanical Association/L'Association Botanique du Canada sponsors graduate students and post-doctoral researchers.
Download CBA-ABC brochure. Applications are due August 6, 2018.
- Ecological Society of America sponsors graduate students only.
Download ESA brochure. Applications are due August 10, 2018.
- *NEW in 2018!* The American Society of Agronomy/Crop Science Society of America/Soil Science Society of America will sponsor graduate students only.
Download ASA/CSSA/SSSA brochure. Applications are due August 6, 2018.
To apply, you'll need to provide:
- which Society you’d like to sponsor you,
- your complete contact information,
- a paragraph describing your interests/reasons for wanting to join the mentoring team,
- a brief list of your previous mentoring and outreach experience, and
- what probing questions or comments from you as an online mentor might help guide an example team to think critically about their research ideas?
Applications are due August 6, 2018 (or August 10, 2018 for ESA sponsorship). Please refer to the brochures above.